This course focuses on the importance of understanding wellness, how it differs from the conventional western approach to health, and how it relates to the individual journey of pursuing an optimal state of being. It is intended to assist recreation professionals in adapting a more holistic approach to delivering recreation services and to provide an understanding of recreation environments from a holistic perspective.
This course is self-paced, allowing learners the flexibility to complete the course as quickly or slowly as they need. While exploring course content, learners can investigate topics in greater detail through enrichment activities that link to real-world examples, original source materials, and policy documents. Learners can easily move from section to section as they navigate through the course, revisiting concepts as needed. This course includes the following elements.
Elements of the course:
- Informational text
- Interactive practice activities
- Learn More opportunities
- Supplemental reference materials
After completing all course activities, you will complete a brief assessment to demonstrate your understanding of key course concepts. Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will be awarded a certificate of completion.
- Health & Wellness
- Applications of the Holistic Perspective
Be able to:
- Distinguish between conventional western medical approach to health and the traditional holistic approach to wellness.
- Identify four strategies for pursuing an optimal state of being.
- Apply a holistic approach to the delivery of organized recreation opportunities.
- Evaluate your recreation facility from a holistic perspective.
The certificate will be most beneficial for park and recreation professionals and others interested in advancing their understanding of park and recreation agency impact on community health.