An effective Board can provide for a strong citizen participation component and sounding board to the decision-making process. This course explains the importance of park and recreation boards, how the board originates and functions, and how it is structured and governed. The course also presents the challenges a board member can face and the rights and responsibilities available to them.
This course is self-paced, allowing learners the flexibility to complete the course as quickly or slowly as they need. While exploring course content, learners can investigate topics in greater detail through enrichment activities that link to real-world examples, original source materials, and policy documents. Learners can easily move from section to section as they navigate through the course, revisiting concepts as needed. This course includes the following elements.
Elements of the course:
- Informational text
- Interactive practice activities
- Learn More opportunities
- Supplemental reference materials
After completing all course activities, you will complete a brief assessment to demonstrate your understanding of key course concepts. Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will be awarded a certificate of completion.
- Purpose, Value, and Authority
- Origins and Functions
- Structure and Administration
Be able to:
- Determine what makes park and recreation boards unique.
- Identify the origins and types of boards.
- Explain the legal constraints regarding the origin of boards.
- Describe the functions of park and recreation boards.
- Describe the structure and administration of boards including board meetings, officers and committees, and members' rights and responsibilities.
- Describe the importance of Robert's Rules of Order and how they are applied to park and recreation boards.
- Identify what to do if the Chairperson acts arbitrarily and capriciously.
There are no prerequisites for this course; all are welcome. If interested, the Working as a Park Board Member: Being Effective e-course provides supplementary information to this course.