Park and recreation managers and program administrators
Prior to the training event, a pre-workshop telephone interview will be conducted during which Eppley will obtain basic information about the current program offerings and facilities managed by the contracting agency. Some custom materials may be designed (handouts) for use by participants in connecting programs/policies/facilities to community health.
This workshop can be offered as a half day or full day session, depending on the size of the contracting agency.
Participants in this workshop will be guided through a facilitated process enabling them to set priority strategies for addressing health in their community. The first half of the workshop is instructional and incorporates brainstorming activities. The teaching piece will cover the research on park and recreation programs and policies that impact health factors and their related health outcomes. During the second half of the workshop participants identify priority programs and policies as well as partners in the community to assist the agency in addressing strategic health priorities.
Process / Details:
The participating agency will create a Park-Health Matrix of agency programs, policies and facilities that identifies service gaps related to health factors. Participants will leave the workshop with a set of priority programs and policies, potential partners, and strategies for impacting health factors in their community.
Be able to:
After this training, the participant will:
- Define community health and the community health factors influenced by parks and recreation
- Critically reflect on the impact of agency programs and facilities on local community health
- Compare factors to which your agency is contributing to overall community health impact
- Identify program and policy areas for strategically addressing community health factors
- Identify potential partners in the community who could assist in the implementation of the selected strategies
Please contact us for more information about setting up this workshop for your organization. Select "Workshop" on the contact form, here.