Leading any organization is challenging. The tension between leading and ‘over-managing’ is especially prevalent in park, recreation, and public land organizations. With numerous stakeholders who are often tightly integrated into an agency’s service delivery portfolio, effectively leading park, recreation, and public land organizations is both challenging and rewarding. This workshop is designed to provide the tools and insight your organization needs to foster a culture of effective leadership practices. Participants are provided with award-winning education tailored specifically to their organization’s culture and maturity. Insights into leadership preferences and strengths are provided for all workshop participants using peer-learning applications that embed leadership understanding, appreciation, and implementation throughout the organization. This workshop is tailored to meet agency needs and length of time available, and if desired, online learning and discussion may be offered before or after the workshop.
Executives, middle managers, and entry-level supervisors all gain significantly from the leadership training workshops. The program can also be geared toward all organization staff with the goal of increasing awareness of everyday leadership opportunities. The workshop is designed to provide participants with a broad understanding of personal leadership methods.
Prior to the training event, the contracting organization will work to identify the most important criteria based on learning objectives, available time, and likely number of attendees for half-day, full-day, or multiple-day workshops. Online learning as a pre-training or post-training supplement is available as an option to ensure agency goals and objectives are met.
The components of this training include:
- An introduction to mentoring and the roles mentors play in an organization and with their mentees
- Mentor development and training
- Characteristics of good mentoring relationships
- Mentor assessment and evaluation of the mentoring program
The day-long session would include breakout groups focusing on the scenarios mentors encounter. Groups will develop and report solutions and strategies, using role playing. The participants will explore what mentoring is and what it isn’t. In addition, facilitated discussion will direct participants toward the construction of mentoring program outline for their organization
Process / Details:
The components of this training, depending upon the contracting organization’s priorities, may include:
- Introduction to leadership and management
- Mastering leadership from the inside out: a learning progression
- Self-assessment providing insight into leadership approaches and preferences
- Group work on leadership case studies
- Creating an understanding of leadership approaches valued by the organization
Be able to:
After this training, the participant will:
- Summarize leadership and management operations principles and identify how they can be applied in their organization
- Identify and describe approaches to leading based on stewardship, service, and other principles
- Identify leadership practices for themselves and preferred leadership practices for the organization
- Customize a leadership model that fits individual positional requirements
Please contact us for more information about setting up this workshop for your organization. Select "Workshop" on the contact form, here.